We’re proud to announce a major new release of CKAN! 1.5 represents a big step forward since our last major release in May. Alongside our usual PyPI release, we are now also releasing regular Ubuntu 10.04 packages, for easy installation.
So now it’s (almost) as simple as “apt-get install ckan” and “ckan-create-instance”
Here are the docs: http://docs.ckan.org/docs/ckan/en/ckan-1.5/install-from-package.html
Major changes since 1.4:
- official government data stores are usually Read-Only to the public, but now we’ve added Moderated Edits, to allow the public to suggest changes and correct metadata. Once suggestions are moderated by the officials, everyone can benefit from the improvements.
- total visual overhaul for viewing and editing datasets
- vastly improved informatinoa about CKAN and user documentation (ckan.org, wiki.ckan.org & docs.ckan.org)
Plus hundreds of little things like: Captcha to keep spammers at bay, calling them ‘datasets’ rather than pushing our concept of ‘packages’ and fixing the odd bug that crops up too.
We’re also really proud of the recent work in CKAN extensions, such as for handling geographic data, harvesting data from other data stores and providing APIs for data in the catalogue with Web Store.
Thank you to the amazing on-line community for their continued ideas, suggestions and support in the development of this open source data hub software.
Here’s the full changelog, listing all the changes since the most recent minor release (184.108.40.206, 30th September):
* New visual theme (#1108)
* Package & Resource edit overhaul (#1294/#1348/#1351/#1368/#1296)
* JS and CSS reorganisation (#1282, #1349, #1380)
* Apache Solr used for search in core instead of Postgres (#1275, #1361, #1365)
* Authorization system now embedded in the logic layer (#1253)
* Captcha added for user registration (#1307, #1431)
* UI language translations refreshed (#1292, #1350, #1418)
* Action API improved with docs now (#1315, #1302, #1371)
* Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) support (#1271)
* Strings to translate into other languages tidied up (#1249)
* Resource format autocomplete (#816)
* Database disconnection gives better error message (#1290)
* Log-in cookie is preserved between sessions (#78)
* Extensions can access formalchemy forms (#1301)
* ‘Dataset’ is the new name for ‘Package’ (#1293)
* Resource standard fields added: type, format, size (#1324)
* Listing users speeded up (#1268)
* Basic data preview functionality moved to core from QA extension (#1357)
* Admin Extension merged into core CKAN (#1264)
* URLs in the Notes field are automatically linked (#1320)
* Disallow OpenID for account creation (but can be linked to accounts) (#1386)
* Tag name now validated for max length (#1418)
* Purging of revisions didn’t work (since 1.4.3) (#1258)
* Search indexing wasn’t working for SOLR (since 1.4.3) (#1256)
* Configuration errors were being ignored (since always) (#1172)
* Flash messages were temporarily held-back when using proxy cache (since 1.3.2) (#1321)
* On login, user told ‘welcome back’ even if he’s just registered (#1194)
* Various minor exceptions cropped up (mostly since 1.4.3) (#1334, #1346)
* Extra field couldn’t be set to original value when key deleted (#1356)
* JSONP callback parameter didn’t work for the Action API (since 1.4.3) (#1437)