CKAN provides a rich RESTful JSON API for querying and accessing dataset information. The API gives access to:
- Full querying / searching (with all features of the main interface, including full-text search, querying on any attribute and faceting)
- Full dataset information, including download links
- Stored data
- Dataset listings by publisher, or by theme, etc
- Recent activity and additions (also available via RSS/Atom feed)
- Statistics on dataset usage, such as number of downloads of dataset resources using the Google analytics extension
- RDF version of the catalogue (using the rdf extension)
- CSV & JSON dumps of entire catalogue
The API is fully documented at http://docs.ckan.org/.
In addition to the read API, a write API can be provided for authorised users that allows for full update of dataset information (metadata). This enables publishers to easily integrate dataset publication with existing tools and workflows.