2013 – A great year for CKAN
2013 has seen CKAN and the CKAN community go from strength to strength. Here are some of the highlights.
- The beta of CKAN 2.0 was released with a much improved user interface and many new features.
- The European Union’s CKAN-powered open data portal, open-data.europa.eu, was also launched in beta.
- publicdata.eu was upgraded to CKAN 2.0
- Launch of Aragón Open Data, an attractive portal for the Spanish region of Aragón
- The US Government’s open data portal data.gov was relaunched based on CKAN 2.0
- CKAN 2.0 released, with completely redesigned theming and authorisation, news feeds and activity streams, more previews, and much more
- The State of South Australia uses CKAN to launch their open data portal – data.sa.gov.au
- CKAN adds the ability to preview GeoJSON data
- CKAN 2.1 released with new capabilities for managing bulk datasets amongst many other improvements
- Launch of Bermuda.io, a community data portal in Bermuda, by two local developers
- Swiss open data portal launched by new CKAN partner Liip
- Another new CKAN partner, Ontodia, launch PediaCities with a CKAN catalogue
- The Data.gov.uk team launch “Data.gov.uk to go” to make it easier to reuse the code behind data.gov.uk
- Substantial new version of CKAN’s geospatial extension, including pycsw and MapBox integration and revised and expanded docs.
- Future City Glasgow launch open.glasgow.gov.uk prototype as part of their TSB funded Future Cities Demonstrator programme
- Japan launches beta of their open data portal data.go.jp
- OKF Belgium release an integration between CKAN and The DataTank
- France launches data.gouv.fr based on CKAN
The CKAN community is growing incredibly quickly so we’re looking forward to seeing what people do with CKAN in 2014.
So if your city, region or state hasn’t already done so, why not make 2014 the year that you launch your own CKAN powered open data portal?