This is the home page for the CKAN technical roadmap and its development process.
The Roadmap provides stakeholders in CKAN, including users, developers and vendors, with the ability to shape and understand the future technical path for CKAN. Specifically, the Roadmap provides for:
* Suggesting new ideas and features for CKAN
* Prioritizing these into a schedule for future work especially on “core” CKAN
We emphasize that ideas don’t just have to be about improvements to the [core CKAN software][core] – for example, the idea of creating a new phone app client for CKAN would be perfect thing to submit.
Lastly, we should emphasize that, of course, just because an item is in the ideas tracker does not mean it will get worked on. If you want a certain feature implemented then the best way to ensure that happens is to sponsor its development – [get in touch for more information][contact]
### Check out the Roadmap
New ideas and current roadmap itself are managed via an issue tracker on github.
[Next Up]: https://github.com/ckan/ideas-and-roadmap/issues?labels=Status%3A+Next+Up&page=1&state=open
[General Backlog]: https://github.com/ckan/ideas-and-roadmap/issues
### Roadmap Process
This section provides some further information about the roadmap process.
* “Idea”: any idea for a feature, functionality, service or app that is part of or connects with CKAN. An idea could be: “Have the CKAN DataStore support format X” or “Make an iPhone app for CKAN”. Key point: Ideas don’t just have to be about improvements to the core CKAN software – for example, the idea of creating a new phone app client for CKAN would be fine
* “Roadmap”: an overview of (major) new ideas that are in progress
* “Core Roadmap” – roadmap for “core” CKAN
* “Core CKAN” – the [core codebase][core] plus “core” extensions
Key aspects of the the Roadmap Process:
* Anyone can add a suggestion to ideas tracker
* Core items are marked as core
* Moving core items into the “roadmap” means moving it into “next up” or “in progress”
* Only Technical Team can take decision to move something into the “core Roadmap”
* Once something is being worked on for “core” it will likely to move to the core issue tracker at gitub.com/ckan/ckan/issues with appropriate label or milestone. A note will be added to any relevant issue in the ideas and roadmap issue tracker.
* Anyone can volunteer to take on a non-core Roadmap item and thus move it to “in progress” (or next up if they are planning on working on it in the near-term)
Note: progress on the Core Roadmap depends on availability of resource to work on it and may change as core developer resource varies.
- RT @OKFN : Job opportunity: @OKFN is looking for a senior developer with at least 5 years' experience to work with us on implementing and de… 5 days ago
- CKAN mailing lists are migrating to new addresses. Details, including how to (re)subscribe, here: http://t.co/msK2tOUWbx 3 weeks ago
- RT @OKFN : Read the latest Open Knowledge Foundation newsletter for updates on #OpenDataDay, #FrictionlessData, @CKANproject , #csvconf and m… 4 weeks ago