CKAN Roundup – Week Beginning 16th May 2011
Your Weekly Roundup from the CKAN Channels:
From the Team Meeting:
- David Read has been getting the buildbot to build the debian packages of CKAN and starting to get the installation tested using Virtual Machines. CKAN already has extensive unit and functional testing, and now we’re focussing on testing the deployment.
- DGU form. This is the end of a large refactor which will make life easier for developers. Its intention is to make sure all ‘business rules’ are in a central place and that all the interfaces (eg api, web ui) go through it.
- A discussion in going on as to how we allow moderation of package metadata in CKAN. We aim to get the user experience correct for both community editors and the moderators. We are also trying to work through the technical issues around doing this.
- Jason Kitcat is working on bringing LOD2 and CKAN projects closer together to avoid duplication of effort on the projects
- Seb Bacon attended FutureEverything, a conference about digital innovation, which had a strand called Open Data Cities. He also attended a meeting of the steering group for DataGM, a data catalogue for Data GM that we helped deliver using CKAN. The project is proving to be a really successful model for collaboration between different public bodies and has generated lots of momentum. Plans were discussed for allowing data to be hosted within CKAN, talked about integrating with InstantAtlas server, geographic data, and how to improve data quality.
From the blog:
StevenWalling: My @Wikimedia colleagues and I are thinking about how best to publish #opendata from our research. I lean toward CKAN. What do you think?
bymerej: @StevenWalling don’t see license info for CKAN either?
StevenWalling: @bymerej ckan.net has a variety of licenses, but it’s FOSS so you can also self-host under any license.
rufuspollock: @acka47 do we know of any #openbiblio datasets not in http://ckan.net/group/bibliographic (e.g. latest swedish release?) #ckan
acka47: @rufuspollock I don’t. Do you have any details about the swedish release? #openbiblio #ckan