Business developer wanted for world leading open data publication software team
If you’re a business developer with some IT experience in the public sector who’d like to help build exciting open data projects then we’d love to hear from you.
The Open Knowledge Foundation is recruiting a full-time, UK-based, business developer with experience of IT project management to join our main Services infrastructure team to develop new market and sales opportunities in the public sector. Some project management will also be required to implement contracts.
Our team provides high quality professional and technical services to clients around the world to help achieve our vision of a world empowered by open knowledge. We implement this through support of infrastructure development and capacity-building for open knowledge data sites for governments, institutions and organisations.
CKAN, our open data publication platform, is an open source web-based software project written in Python. It allows users to submit, search for and find open data. CKAN is the catalogue behind the UK government’s data.gov.uk and the US data.gov. It also powers over 60 other data catalogues around the world.
If you have a background in IT, the public sector, and business development, with a keen interest in open data, and enjoy working on open-source products, we’d love to hear from you.
You’d be part of a team:
- developing and concluding business opportunities for deploying and developing open data software infrastructure, training and consulting projects for governments and organisations;
- developing and managing our network of professional services partners;
- supporting project management and delivery of software deployments, training and consulting engagements.
- At least 2-3 years’ business development experience;
- Self-management in a business development IT environment;
- Business-to-business and / or public-sector business development experience;
- Ability to write winning business proposals and RFPs;
- Brilliant communication skills both verbal and written;
- Some experience in IT project management;
- Enthusiasm about open data and open knowledge.
How to apply
Email us at [email protected] with the subject line ‘Business Developer – CKAN/Services’, and a copy of your CV by 15 December 2013.
Being based in and around London would be a plus but we are happy to consider applications from elsewhere in the UK.
Remuneration is commensurate with ability and will be based on a target and commission.
About the Open Knowledge Foundation
The Open Knowledge Foundation is a multi-award winning community-based not-for-profit organisation. We build tools, provides advice and develops communities in the area of open knowledge: data, content and information which can be freely shared and used. We believe that by creating an open knowledge commons we can make a significant contribution to improving governance, research and the economy.
Our world-leading software platform, CKAN (http://ckan.org), is a powerful open source data management system that makes data accessible and usable – by streamlining publishing, sharing, finding and using data. As well as harvesting, cataloguing, and advanced searching, it can store data and provides rich data APIs, visualization and exploration tools. CKAN is aimed at data publishers (national and regional governments, companies and organizations) wanting to make their data open, available and usable.
We’re changing the world by promoting a global shift towards more open ways of working in government, arts, sciences and much more.