Context: In April 2022 CKAN’s co-stewards, Datopian and Link Digital, kicked off an engagement to steer the CKAN project toward an awesome 3.0 release. CKAN 3.0 will build on the success of CKAN 2.x and continue to improve, promising to be even more awesome, with new features and improvements that will make it easier for all kinds of organizations to publish and share their data online. Work on the CKAN 3.0 Product Strategy, which is ongoing, is sponsored by Link Digital’s funding of Alex Gostev to fill CKAN’s Product Owner role. Now, the co-stewards are seeking to establish the first permanent development role for CKAN, sponsored by Datopian funding.
Work on CKAN 3.0 is designed to be inclusive - involving as many stakeholders as possible and relying on input from many fronts: contributors, publishers, users, and vendors. We’ve been having constant initiatives and discussions and we’ve been inspecting a wide range of areas surrounding CKAN.
We are now looking for an enthusiastic and committed developer who would like to join the CKAN 3.0 team and help us steer the CKAN project toward an awesome 3.0 release! The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about software development, open source and has professional experience with Python. We prefer individuals who have previous experience in the industry, but will also consider people who are highly motivated, bright and breezy when it comes to open source!
If you’re passionate about data and you want to be part of building the next generation of open-source tooling for open data management systems, we’d love to hear from you!
Python Developer (open-source contributor)
Passionate about data? If you want to be part of building the next generation of open-source tooling for open data management systems, we’d love to hear from you! A little about us…
- We’re mission-driven
- Have a great community
- Love the freedom that remote/flexible working gives us
About this role
We are looking for a highly-motivated and skilled individual to join us as a Python Developer to work on CKAN project, an open-source Python software currently maintained on GitHub. The new joiner will be working on new features towards the major release of CKAN version 3. Of course, the person would need to understand CKAN 2.x and contribute within the tech team framework to gain confidence and direction.
- Mid to senior-level software engineer with solid Python development background
- Able to work across the full stack
- Able to maintain high standards for code quality and application design
- Communication and soft skills:
- Proficient in written and spoken English, confident during presentations and interactions
- Able to work with agile development methodologies, adhering to best practices and pursuing continued learning opportunities
Must know (Required skills and qualifications)
- Knowledge of Python (CKAN is written in Python (learn more about it here) and you need to be able to maintain the code, develop extensions and new features, etc. Experience in Python packaging and some of the libraries CKAN uses is a plus (Flask, SQLAlchemy, Jinja2).
- Experience with packaging and operating applications
- Experience with Git - we use Git for everything we do from coding to content writing so you need to use Git via command line and commit your work to GitHub on a daily basis
- Experience with Docker
Good to have (Preferred skills and qualifications)
About the engagement
- Start date: As soon as feasible
- Rate: Commensurate with ability and experience
- Location: Remote
- Employment: Full-time
How to apply
If you would like to apply for the position at CKAN Project, please send us an email with details to firstname.lastname@example.org with a CC to email@example.com.
Next step for CKAN is the version 3.0 we’re defining now
We hope you'll join us in making CKAN even better!